Wells & Co traces its origins to 1986, when Mark Wells set up his law practice in Remuera. Having operated successfully in Remuera for many years, we expanded by opening an office in Howick in 1997.
We now have nine lawyers at our Remuera and Howick offices – four partners (Mark Wells, Alison Tait, Alan Rowe and Stephen Wood), one consultant (Robert Benton), as well as one senior associate (Mary Anne Amesbury), one associate (Albert Vaka) and two staff solicitors (Tom Talbot and Georgia Jaques) – who work together with a legal executive and seven support staff.
Although our firm continues to grow we have not lost our personal approach, and our lawyers are easily contactable by telephone, fax and e-mail. We pride ourselves on being friendly and approachable, with comfortable and relaxed offices.
Both our Remuera and Howick offices are conveniently located within the main shopping area of each suburb, and have ample street parking close by.
Should you have a legal issue requiring urgent advice, we will endeavour to be as flexible and helpful as possible, and will try to accommodate you with an urgent appointment.
We are a general practice law firm, and we advise many types of companies and private clients on a wide range of legal issues. We act for a broad spectrum of clients, and provide them with a broad range of legal services. We look to develop long-term relationships with our clients, and our clients frequently seek our advice on both business and personal issues.
We provide discrete, sound and careful legal advice, with an emphasis on providing you with practical and economical solutions to your legal issues. Some of the types of services that we provide are:
Commercial and Corporate Advice
We provide New Zealand and overseas businesses, including charitable and non-profit organisations, with advice relating to:
- Sales and purchases of businesses
- Commercial leases
- Commercial conveyancing and property development
- Commercial law and contracts
- Employment Contracts
- Company law and securities
- Franchising and licensing
- Intellectual property (including trade marks)
- Joint ventures and shareholder agreements
- Debt recovery
- Corporate insolvency
We provide families and individuals with advice regarding:
- Residential conveyancing
- Mortgages and refinancing
- Property development and subdivisions
- Lease and residential tenancies
- Occupation licences or leases in retirement villages
- Family law
- Property sharing, separation and dissolution (divorce)
- Employment issues
- Relationship property and contracting out agreements
- Consumer law
- Trusts, wills and estates
- Gifting programmes and trust administration
- Enduring powers of attorney
- Asset protection
- Estate planning
- Family arrangements
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
We have acted for individuals and businesses at all levels of the New Zealand Court system (District Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court). We provide litigation assistance and advice and we act as counsel in disputes involving many areas of law, too numerous to list, but the main areas in which we practise are:
- Civil disputes, Contractual disputes including breach of contract, cancellation, Fair Trading Act claims, Misrepresentation, Negligence, Summary Judgment, Debt collection, Liquidation, Insolvency or Bankruptcy
- Property disputes, involving Land, Mortgages, Caveats, Leases, Trusts
- Commercial disputes, involving Companies, Partnerships, Agency, Insurance, Restraints of Trade, Leases
- Building disputes, Leaky Buildings, WHRS claims
- Family disputes, including disputes that relate to Relationship Property, de facto claims, Separation, Parenting, Adoption, Inheritance such as matters in relation to wills or under the Family Protection Act or Law Reform (Testamentary Promises) Act, Incapacity such as matters under the Protection of Personal Property Rights Act, and matters under the Domestic Violence Act
- Employment disputes, personal grievances including dismissal, redundancy, constructive dismissal
We can also advise you regarding:
- Alternative dispute resolution
If the service you are looking for is not listed above, please contact us to discuss whether we can help. If we cannot advise you on a particular issue, then we may be able to refer you to an experienced practitioner who will be able to assist. We look forward to working with you on your legal matters.